- Job Title
- Staff Engineer, Power Electronics Electrical Design
- Indianapolis, IN
Filed under: Engineering/QA
Our client is a global product leader in powertrain solutions. They focus on developing leading powertrain technologies that improve fuel economy, emissions and performance. Their facilities are located across the globe to provide local support for their diverse customer base.
They operate in two groups. The Engine Group develops air management strategies and products to optimize engines for fuel efficiency, reduced emissions and enhanced performance. Their expertise includes engine timing systems, boosting systems, ignition systems, air and noise management, cooling and controls. The Drivetrain Group harnesses a legacy of more than 100 years as an industry innovator in transmission and all-wheel drive technology. The group leverages this understanding of powertrain clutching technology to develop interactive control systems and strategies for all types of torque management.
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Engineering Manager of Power Electronics, the Staff Engineer will be primarily responsible for performing the electrical circuit design, component selection, circuit analysis and testing of power electronic products. Additionally, this individual will ensure electronics products are properly destined and validated to meet customer requirements.
• Complete the electrical design, simulation and analysis of power electronics circuits and systems to meet technical product requirements.
• Perform the electrical debug, test, characterization, and validation of power electronics designs.
• Specify, identify, select and test key, critical electronic components.
• Lead design and layout of circuit boards, substrates and electrical interconnects/bus structures.
• Develop an optimized electrical, mechanical and thermal solution utilizing balanced requirements to meet schedule, technical and cost constraints.
• Work with systems engineers and program team to ensure the proper allocation of requirements and to perform the verification of those requirements allocated to the electrical competencies.
• Support product development team with technical design analysis, trade off studies, FMEAs, design reviews and customer presentations.
• Understand the vehicle system components and functions that interface to the power electronics subsystem.
• Work with Systems Engineering and Applications Engineering to investigate vehicle systems issues.
• Work with other engineering competencies, suppliers and partners to ensure proper development, execution and verification of power electronics products.
• Serve as focal point for electrical design technical discussions with cross-functional team, management and customers.
• Document and share best practices.
• Mentor the less experienced; role model for corporate beliefs.
• Travel up to 10% both domestically and internationally.
• BS in Electrical Engineering.
• Minimum eight years of experience required in automotive electronics product development, power electronics circuit design (specifically motor drive inverters), modeling, simulating and testing of power electronics.
• Automotive electrical system and power electronic testing experience preferred.
• Design and test of automotive, consumer and/or industrial EMC compliant power electronics systems.
• Experience in designing, integrating and testing of DC to AC inverter motor drives and controls.
• Strong product engineering experience and working knowledge of manufacturing processes and capabilities.
• Excellent analytical and problem solving skills (Shainin or Six Sigma training a plus).
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Knowledge of functional safety (ISO 26262) and ASIL level requirements.
• Advanced analytical, technical and statistical skills.
• Ability to solve problems efficiently and effectively.
• Ability to work in a limited supervisory environment.
• Customer Focus.
• Action Orientated.
• Dealing with Ambiguity.
• Functional/Technical Skills.
• Learning on the Fly.
• Drive for Results.
• Problem Solving.
This position will adhere to Global Star Safety Program, including safety rules, practices and training as outlined in the Safety Policy Manual, which includes the use of equipment, protective devices, or clothing that the employer requires. This individual will work in manners that stress the importance of preventing accidents and illnesses. He/she must take every precaution reasonable in the given circumstance for the protection of themselves and co-workers. In addition, he/she is responsible for reporting all injuries and/or possible dangerous situations, incidents, or occurrences to the immediate supervisor.